Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pants That Want To Be Skirts




A few months ago, a very sweet friend of mine gave my like 7 pairs of pants and a few other things. I was SO excited and couldn't wait for Caleb to be born so I could wear all my new clothes! Everything was the right size and fit fine, but not everything fit the way I would have picked out. So I thought I would try with the pair that I liked the least (in case I totally messed up :o) ) to make a skirt out of them. I had never made a skirt like this before and was guessing that it couldn't be to hard. It turned out to be really easy, and only took about 1 hour (I'm estimating, because I usually do things in two parts). I get it all ready at nap time and then sew once everyone's in bed at night. The longest part was ripping out the seam. There's not much actual sewing to be done, so it was FAST! And I always need fast.

Here they are before. They look a little sad, I think. They want to be made pretty.


I should have tried it on to see where to make my cut, but I didn't, and it still worked out perfect. Yay :o)



I used the bottom of one pant leg to add a piece in the front and back of the skirt.
It took some time fiddling to get everything in the right spot.
Just pin well and sew very slowly.



The back took a little longer to pin in the right place. I had to try it on 4 or 5 times to make sure there were no puckering parts :o) I sewed a double line to match what was there already, and it turned out really nice!



Here's the inside front.
After sewing, I just trimmed the extra away, really close to the seam.



And the inside back.



If you click on the picture to enlarge it, you will be able to see how good the seam turned out.






I wasn't sure if I wanted to hem it or leave it to fray a little, so I washed and dried it to see what would happen. It looked to unfinished, so I did hem it and I love wearing it! There's nothing better once warm weather comes then a closet full of skirts!!!  :o) 
It was very worth 1 hour of my time!

Here are a few pictures of the finished product and a shirt that I made after seeing THIS at Ruffles and Stuff.



I'm really happy with the way they both turned out!



I love my new outfit :o)



I titled this Pants That Want To Be Skirts because I had two pair of pants to transform, but so far only one has been done, and if I wait until I do the other pair, who knows when this would get posted :o)  Whenever I do get to the other pair maybe I'll add a picture. 

2 comments:

  1. You did such a nice work on this! Perfect for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love the skirt. I also made a shirt like that, but yours looks a ton better than mine! :)

    ReplyDelete