Thursday, March 24, 2011

Easter Shirt Trial Run


I've been working on the boys' Easter outfits for the past month or so, and made this pattern up myself, so of course I wanted to do a trial run before cutting into what little bit of fabric I have for the actual Easter shirt. 


Samuel's been asking me for a cowboy shirt, so I told him that it has pearl snaps - kind of like a cowboy shirt. He thought that was pretty good, and it must be, because I found him wearing it with sweat pants and cowboy boots when we woke up from nap time the next day :o).


I used flat-felled seams, so it's as pretty inside as out. I never knew what flat-felled seams were, but when I started looking at the insides of Tim's dress shirts I wanted to try to get the same look.  I came up with my own way of doing it on a different shirt, but then saw THIS  tutorial and found out the real way to do it :o). It's nice to make something that you can be proud of and know it will last a long time. This is also the first time I've successfully used snaps. It was really easy when I figured out the RIGHT way to put them in the snap press :o).  As long as they're in the right way they work great! It does take some practice, so always try it on some scraps before messing up your shirt :o).


The pattern could use just a bit of tweaking, but overall it's not bad for coming up with it from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment