Thursday, March 4, 2010

Putting the Diaper On the Baby

Putting a diaper on is really fast and easy once you get the hang of it!


For Samuel (4) and Josiah (2), I use just one thick pre-fold at night. They wake up dry a lot of the time but it's easier to wash one diaper than a bed full of sheets and blankets. I make the poop pocket before they lay down.



Then turn under the top and open the sides to give some wings for easy pinning.



Just like a disposable, wrap the front to the back.



And the back to the front. The more secure around the legs the better.



Then just pin corners.



The plastic diaper cover goes on like underwear and, you're ready for bed. yay! :o) 



This is the same pre-fold in a wool wrap cover with no poop pocket. Used as more of a liner, because I don't really worry about them pooping at night anymore.



Again, fold the top down to a comfortable size.



Then wrap the cover just like a disposable. Samuel loves this cover because it's soft :o)



As you can see, Caleb's cover is a little big, but bigger is better than smaller when it comes to covers. You don't want any part of the diaper sticking out of the cover or you will have leaks. The wash cloth on him is not part of my diaper routine - just to keep him modest for the picture.



I like to put the diaper in the cover first, then the diaper and cover under the baby at the same time so you know everything is in the right spot.



Wrap the diaper around the baby.



And with this cover no pins are needed because of the velcro. Make sure the cover is spread comfortably around baby.



And secure. Just as fast as a disposable. I want to add that one of the biggest reasons I make these diapers is because of the elastic around the legs and at the back of the diaper. This makes it almost impossible for a blowout to happen. And, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever had poop sneak out when I use these diapers.



And just for fun here's the never-ending pile of laundry that is always somewhere at my house. Today the couch gets it :o) At least it's clean, I always tell myself. 
The boys love playing in their bucket of beans!


I never seem to get Samuel to hold still for a picture.





2 comments:

  1. thanks for the diapering tips! i'm so glad! i keep wanting to do the transition, but not quite sure how, it seems hard work, but I'm sure that's only in the beginning, once you get the hang of it, it looks easier! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. Not exactly sure why I think its so awesome but I think it may be the simplicity of it. I've been cloth diapering my son for 13 months now and I've had to go through figuring out what a pocket diaper is, an AIO, and like, all of the millions of others names for other diapers (which btw are like 20 bucks PER diaper) all to realize that what I started out with originally: the simple prefold + cover, were all I really needed. Not only is it easier (to me), its also more efficient cost wise and does the SAME EXACT DUTY for da booty. And on top of that, why buy expensive inserts when a folded up prefold works just the same if not better. :)

    ReplyDelete